Using tiles in a budget-friendly creative home makeover
Tiles are an excellent, easy way to create a striking new look for your home, and they offer plenty of interesting options for a makeover even if you don’t have a gigantic budget. Use them all over the walls, floors and outside areas, or keep them concentrated around your sink or cooker splashback. They can also create interest in smaller areas such as a hallway, on the side of a bath or kitchen island, or on furniture projects like table tops or storage boxes.
Sure, you could just go for square, white tiles laid out in a grid pattern but why not look around a few home magazines and blogs for more inspiration? Here are a few pointers:
- Dark colours draw the eye and create mystery
- A splash of bright colour can make a highlighted area look bigger
- Monochrome patterns can be used to create either a sleek or vintage feel
- Feeling creative? Fit different shapes and sizes of tiles together for a unique ‘collaged’ look
- Don’t just think in 2-D, try tiles with irregular, raised or indented surfaces
- Mix cheaper tiles with a few more expensive feature tiles
- Lay out oblong tiles in a herringbone pattern to create an interesting feature
- Try wood-look tiles for a low-maintenance stain and water resistant natural look
- Make colours pop with matching or contrasting grouting
- For a trending look, try tiling with a mixture of bold patterns in muted colours (such as the grey tiles in the picture below)
Top tip: If you’re tiling a large area and need several boxes of coloured tiles, remember to mix up the contents from different boxes to allow for very slight natural variation of colours and textures between batches. The builders who fixed up our bathroom told us to do this and they were absolutely right – it definitely made the room look its best.
About Crown Tiles
Crown Tiles is an online tile business with a massive 30,000 square foot warehouse, containing over £5 million-worth of stock. They offer a wide range of kitchen tiles, bathroom tiles, outdoor tiles and many more options for your home improvement projects, including grouting and tiling accessories.
Their price promise means that they guarantee a price match on all their products, helping you to keep your costs down. They also offer free next-day delivery on tile samples, to make sure you find exactly the right tiles for your project.
Full disclosure: Sponsored post in collaboration with Crown Tiles. All words and opinions my own, there has been no editorial interference. I am a longstanding genuine customer of their parent company, Topps Tiles.
Are you doing any challenges in the next coming month ?
Hiya Patricia, yes we’ll be having a Storecupboard Management Challenge, and a ‘de-stress for less’ one as well during September. Hopefully see you for those!
Comments are closed.