Tenner Week November 2012
I’m planning another Tenner Week for anyone who feels like joining in. This time it’s going to run from Sunday 4th November to Saturday 10th of November inclusive*, and it’s designed to be a handy way to avoid overspending in the run up to the always-expensive party season.
We were doing Tenner Weeks, which originally started out as Fiver Weeks, at pennygolightly.com long before anybody else started doing them, so here’s your chance to flex your hipster credentials too. Take it away, Hipster Kitty:
Okay, that’s enough silliness. If you haven’t done a Tenner Week before, or you’d just like to refresh your memory, here are the two important rules:
Rule 1: You work in cash, allowing £10 for the week. This is just what you spend on yourself, and doesn’t include things you have to buy for pets, kids etc. It also does not include the food your partner eats, just your share of it.
Rule 2 : You must not sit at home watching television all night, every night (you can pick 2 films, or 3 hours of TV shows to watch at home during the week, or one film plus one TV show)
The £10 doesn’t include rent, utility bills, direct debits, courses you have already paid for, store points you’ve already earned or gift vouchers you’ve received.
The £10 also excludes a weekly travel card or bus pass, or petrol for work trips. Some of us travel miles to and from work, others work from home, so we need a level playing field.
By the way, going out the day before it starts and doing a monster-sized shop is cheating, so don’t make me come over there and tell you off for being naughty. Because I will.
Anyway, you get bonus points for:
- Using up what you already have
- Mending or altering something
- Keeping fit
- Doing something relaxing
- Keeping in touch with friends
- Finding a freebie
- Learning something new
- Being creative
- Having 1 or 2 days where you spend nothing
The more you plan your week out the better it will be, and it’s really good to find some free and interesting things to do. Oh, and avoid window shopping if you can.
Your Tenner Week goals
This time around I’m going to set one main goal for myself, plus two smaller goals. I’m also inviting YOU to send in your goals too, so we can have a list of them right in front of us on here – which will help us keep motivated and feel accountable. You can leave a message in the box below, or email them in to penny @ pennygolightly.com, stating your name/nickname, main goal and two minor goals. I’ll start things off, and please join me!
Name: Penny Golightly
- Main goal: Write 12,000 words of my new book during the week
- Small goal 1: Put 10 items up for sale on eBay
- Small goal 2: Have 5-a-day fruit & veg on all 7 days
- Goals: Dropping two more pounds (lbs) and studying Chinese.
- Main Goal: To exercise three times per week for an hour per session (one to be outdoors).
- Small Goal 1: To sell, swap or donate my son’s baby clothes that he’s now grown out of.
- Small Goal 2: Cook fresh meals for me and my family, using the food we already have at home (no takeaways or buying more surplus food).
- Main goal: Not to spend anything on lunches.
- Smaller goals: Get rid of the pile of old clothes I never wear and get them on eBay, and try to not watch as much TV.
- Main goal: Clean and organize the walk-in closet.
- Smaller goals: To read a novel since I have not read one in ages and to take inventory of all the food in the flat.
That’s it – please keep sending your own goals in.
*If you can’t join in between the 4th and 10th of November, it’s fine to start yours a few days later. Otherwise we’ll be doing another one next year in January.
I’ll share this on all my platforms, Penny.
This is totally the kind of thing I support 😀
Hipster kitty’s got the right idea. Money? Pshhh. I’m so over it! I love the alternatives here. There are things that are so much healthier for both our bodies and minds than buying crap.
I’m so in. My bonus points will be for dropping 2 more pounds and studying Chinese 🙂
Good luck to everyone who takes part!
Thanks Rosie and Ash – have a good Tenner Week!
Main Goal: To exercise three times per week for an hour per session (one to be out doors).
Small Goal 1: To sell, swap or donate my sons baby clothes that he’s now grown out of.
Small Goal 2: Cook fresh meals for me and my family, using the food we already have at home (no takeaways or buying more surplus food)
LOVING Hipster Kitty! I sooooo need to do this tenner week, I’ve not saved much for sorting Xmas out this year. My main goal is definitely to not spend anything on lunches this week & save the money for my Xmas fund.
My smaller goals are to get rid of the pile of old clothes I never wear and get them on eBay and try to not watch as much TV! Wish me luck!!!
Comments are closed.