It’s time for another Tenner Week challenge! Can you live on £10 for the week for your discretionary spending? As mentioned previously, the theme this time around is Spring Cleaning so let’s get going and freshen everything up.
Today is an optional exercise that can save you some time and hassle – the ‘Sunday Stocktake’. All you need to do is take a look around your home and make a list of all your available food and drink. As we’re also doing a spring clean, you also need to make a second list of cleaning products and equipment.
Start by writing down all your food and drink that you might be able to use up this week. The aim is to prevent food waste as well as saving money. Be sure to note down what might need to be used up first as well.
It could include:
- What’s in the fridge
- Freezer contents
- Cupboards, bread bins, biscuit barrels
- Shelves, and canisters on table tops
- Spice racks, sauces and jam pots
- Pantry or store
- Kitchen garden or allotment
- Drinks cupboard or trolley
You’ll probably start to get some ideas for good meals while you’re looking around. It always makes me feel a bit peckish anyway…
For the spring cleaning, make a quick mental note of what’s available, such as:
- General or multi-purpose cleaner
- White vinegar, bicarbonate of soda or fresh lemons
- Descalers, window cleaners, kitchen cleaners, bathroom cleaners
- Cloths, scrubbing pads, brushes, dusters
- Mop, bucket, broom, dustpan
- Old newspapers, rubber gloves
- Laundry detergent, fabric conditioner etc
Tenner Week schedule
As always, there’s something new to try every day if you want to keep busy. Most of these ideas can be done in ten minutes or less, but you can do more cleaning up if you have time or you’re on a roll.
- Monday: Quick kitchen clean
- Tuesday: Ceilings and corners (quick dust)
- Wednesday: Digital detox (declutter your social media or email habits)
- Thursday: Floors, carpets or rugs
- Friday: Dump some junk
- Saturday: Wash those windows
- Sunday: Scrub yourself up (time for a nice bath or some pampering)
If you’re really busy during the week, you can just catch up with it at the weekend. No pressure.
Are you ready to get thrifty for a week, and sweep away a few cobwebs into the bargain? Join in!