Time for some more SS17 catwalk makeup trends for less. For a ladylike, made-up and vintage look, try some feline flick eyes: a great big flick of black eyeliner paired with a pink-nude lipstick.
Top picks: From left to right, above. The Collection Fast Stroke Eye Liner, £2.99, is an award-winning budget buy (I really like their brown felt tip liner for lazier days, also £2.99). Topshop also have a really good range of eyeliners, including gel, liquid, pens and waterproof pencils, priced £5.00 to £8.00.
Other rave-reviewed high street eyeliners include:
- Rimmel Exaggerate Eye Liner, £5.29
- L’Oreal Superliner Perfect Slim, £6.99
- Soap & Glory Supercat, £6.00
- Maybelline’s Master Precise Liquid Eyeliner pen (£5.99) and Lasting Drama Gel Eyeliner, £7.99
Shadow & brows: Above, from left to right. Eyeshadow is neutral or taupey, and brows are well groomed. Try Maybelline Color Tattoo 24 Hour Eyeshadow in Permanent Taupe, £4.99, or a NYX Nude Matte Shadow in Bare My Soul or Get Naked, £4.50. For brows, go for high-end dupes such as a NYX Micro Brow Pencil, £8.00, or a Sleek Brow Kit, (£8.50 and in 3-for-2 offer).
Mega mascara: Go heavy on the mascara here, the bigger the better, or use false lashes. Bargain mascaras include Boots Seventeen FalsifEye HD mascara, £6.99, Essence I Heart Extreme Crazy Volume mascara, £2.80 (yes, you did read that right, bargain!), and Essence Lash Princess False Lash Effect mascara, £3.30.
Foundations: Skin is more made up than barely there, and mostly matte or satin-matte. High street foundation finds include:
- Boots No 7 Instant Radiance SPF15, £12.50
- Gosh X-Ceptional Wear, £7.99
- NYX Stay Matte But Not Flat, £6.00
- L’Oreal Infallible Matte 24H, £7.99 or True Match SPF17
- Maybelline FitMe Matte & Poreless, £5.99
- Rimmel Wake Me Up SPF15, £8.99 (currently on offer for £5.99)
- Revlon Colorstay SPF15, £12.99
A good primer can help too, for example:
- One of GOSH’s excellent offerings, £12.99 to £14.99, or an NYX Angel Veil, £13.00, Pore Filler, £11.00 or Studio Perfect primer, £10.00
- Rimmel’s Fix & Perfect or Fix & Protect SPF25 (dry or mature skin), both £6.99
- The Ordinary’s great value High Adherence primer (oily skin, £3.90) or High Spreadability (mature skin) primer, £5.50
Powder: Add a dusting of finely-milled finishing powder such as ELF Studio HD, £7.50, No 7 Perfect light Loose Powder, £10.50, or, my favourite, GOSH Prime ‘n’ Set, £9.99. Keep some pressed powder with you for touch ups, such as Maybelline Matte Maker powder, £3.99, NYX High Definition Finishing Powder, £9.00, Rimmel Stay Matte Pressed Powder, £3.99, No 7 Perfect Light pressed powder, £11.50, or Collection Lasting Perfection Powder, £4.19.
Ladylike lipstick: Now, onto the finishing touch – lipstick! I’ve already mentioned several excellent lipstick ranges throughout recent articles, especially in the Bold Lip section, and most of those have some excellent soft pinks, petal pinks, or rosy nudes among their colour selections. There really is something to suit every skin tone and budget.
From left to right, above. The pink and nude shades in the Lottie London Matte Liquid Lipstick collection, £5.99, would work well here too, so could a Sleek Matte Me, £4.99. For a little low-cost luxury, check out Topshop Lips in Mink, £8.00, a very nice satin finish designer dupe, or treat yourself to something from Lily Lolo’s rather gorgeous natural lipstick collection, £9.50.
Are you updating the contents of your makeup bag this season?