It’s Day Four of Home Week today, as part of May’s Jump Start. The activity today is to get travel ready, and as promised there are a few things to try, most of which are completely free.
First of all, let’s think about bags and luggage. Today you could:
- Get cases down out of the loft
- Find luggage in cupboards, under the bed, or on top of wardrobes
- Check other luggage such as travel bags, vanity cases and carry on bags
- Check luggage wheels, zips and handles for damage
- Dust down and clean the outside of your luggage
- Wipe out or sponge out the inside of your luggage
- Leave bags and cases open to air them
- Leave musty luggage open in direct sunlight
- Use Febreze or similar freshener on luggage interiors
- Add a sticker, tag or ribbon to make your case instantly identifiable (saves time at airport carousels)
Another important thing to do: check your passport if there’s the slightest chance you might travel abroad this year. Where is it? Is it in date? Is it close to expiry?
Now think about all those travel accessories, including:
- Small pots and bottles for decanting toiletries (Muji is my favourite for this)
- Neck pillows
- Scarves that can double as blankets
- Sun protection, including hats and sunglasses
- Pocket fan
- Mosquito repellent
- Converters, plugs and chargers
Hunt down everything you already own, clean it up if necessary, and put it away somewhere convenient.
Finally, have a think about items that might make travel easier or more pleasant, and add them to your wish list or shopping list.
What’s happening here
I cleared out my travel washbag earlier this month for a weekend trip, so today I’m just going to clean and air my main suitcase. I might also look for a new Travalo or similar fragrance atomiser, although that’s not too urgent at the moment.
How’s your Jump Start going so far?