Are you having a good Jump Start January? We’re now onto day 14, the last day of Declutter Week. Today’s job is to make a start on sorting out your clothes by decluttering your underwear drawer. By the way, how are you liking the artwork?
One thing I’d suggest today is this – don’t try to go through all your clothes in one go if they’re a bit of a mess. In fact, a wardrobe’s-worth might be too much too. Do a bit at a time.
Here’s the declutter:
- Empty the drawer and give it a good dust out or wipe down.
- Add liner paper or dividers/boxes to the clean, dried drawer (optional).
- Sort out your clothes: ‘keep here’, ‘keep but put away somewhere else’, ‘keep but mend’, ‘sell’, ‘recycle’, ‘give to charity’ or ‘bin’. Underwear doesn’t last forever – be ruthless if it’s worn out.
- Don’t spend too long on the sorting. Get rid of anything that doesn’t fit or flatter you.
- Fold the ‘keep’ items neatly and put everything back in the drawer, grouped by type or by colour. Pair up socks, and store matching items together.
- Empty the bin and the recycling immediately, and mend/sell/give the rest to charity within the week.
- Make a list of anything that you urgently need to buy or replace, and make your purchases this week.
I’ve retired some snagged tights and stockings to the bin, and put a couple of sets of everyday underwear onto my shopping list. No grotty undies here, phew. Now for a little online shopping…
Is it safe to ask you about the state of your knicker drawer?
There are additional resources and tips in the bestselling Jump Start 2013 ebook. Please buy a copy and help support this site.