Jump Start January: Week 2: Day 3
Today, our single activity for Jump Start January is to declutter the bathroom cabinet, or bathroom shelves if you don’t have a cabinet.
The aim is to get this often-cluttered spot so it’s nice and hygenic, and so it’s easy to find things in a hurry. That’s ideal if you’re looking for, say, a first aid kit, or you’re trying to get out of the house on time in the morning. Do this declutter in a quick blitz and power through it, setting a timer to prevent yourself from getting sidetracked.
Here’s the declutter:
- Get everything out of the cabinet, and take everything off the top too.
- Give the cabinet a good scrub, and clean mirrors with glass cleaner or white vinegar and newspaper. Allow to dry.
- Go through medicines and first aid items, checking the use-by dates – BIN IT safely if it’s out of date or non-useful, away from children and pets. Put things on a shopping list if they truly need to be replaced.
- Go through toiletries. Bin everything that’s been opened and then not used for over two years. Get rid of things that you don’t really use/like – bin them or put into a box for charity donation or selling (perfumes and aftershaves often sell well on eBay).
- Check your toothbrush: is it time for a new one? If so, add it to the shopping list.
- Add in extra storage to group things together, so you can get to important items quickly. For example, get a box for first aid kit, a plastic tumbler for your toothbrush, and so on.
- Wipe bottles, tubes and jars if needed, and put the essentials back into the cabinet.
- Buy the items on your shopping list before the end of the week. Make any charity donations or sales listings before the end of the week too.
I did a declutter on my bathroom cabinet last year, but I’m going to do the same thing again this year because medicines regularly go out of date. I added a few plastic pots (saved from cotton bud packaging) to group things together last time, and the system is still working, so storage is helpful!
There are additional resources and tips in the bestselling Jump Start 2013 ebook. Please buy a copy and help support this site.
A bathroom declutter is essential following the post-Christmas influx of smellies!
Hi Jamie – that’s a good point. It can all reach critical mass in January!
Comments are closed.