Hello again, how are you doing today? While I’m all for having regular affordable little treats and creature comforts, sometimes you need to take a few risks to get a longer term feeling of happiness.
It’s important to challenge yourself from time to time. It can give you a sense of achievement, get you out of a rut and allow you to try something new. You’ll probably pick up fresh knowledge and skills too, which is great for your self esteem and self confidence.
Today’s activity is to challenge yourself: do something out of the ordinary as a one off. It doesn’t have to be anything too out there, just something that you wouldn’t usually do in your day-to-day life.
Here are a few examples:
- Watch a different type of movie or TV show than you’d usually watch (maybe something that’s had good reviews)
- Read a different genre or category of book, magazine or blog
- Go to a new cafe, restaurant or pub
- Book in for a talk, a lecture, a reading, a seminar or a class that’s out of the ordinary
- Listen to some new music in a genre you wouldn’t usually try
- Find and test a new recipe that you’ve never cooked before
- Learn a new academic subject or work skill
- Try a free app or website etc to learn a new language
- Research a day trip to somewhere you’ve never been to
None of this needs to cost anything if you’re short of cash; there are plenty of free shows, blogs, talks and so on available. You could also make a new recipe using ingredients you already have in your cupboard or fridge.
Alternatively, treat yourself to a small purchase if you can afford it. Push yourself, try something new and see how it all pans out.
How are you going to break out of the old routine and challenge yourself today?