Been AFK for a couple of days, back now No-diet diet tip #7
Think before you snack
We Brits spend way more per head on snack foods than any other European country. We are also far ahead of the rest of Europe in the obesity stakes. Perhaps there is some correlation between these two facts, especially since many of the things we now eat between meals are super-sized compared to ten years ago or contain more hidden fats and sugars than we realise.
Obesity is a complex issue, of course, but if someone who snacks a lot slightly changes their eating habits then this may be the only dietary tweak they need to get back to a healthy weight. For example, a large creamy coffee with flavoured syrup shots plus a big choc-chip muffin from one of the high street chains can easily contain all the calories/energy that the average woman needs to keep going for a whole day - so a daily snack like that on top of your average food intake will pile the pounds on faster than you realise. Switching to a medium sized latte with skimmed milk and picking a small bar of nice chocolate to go with it still gives you all the coffee and chocolate 'hit' and the good flavour, but it's far less likely to sabotage a healthy eating plan.
In some 'skinnier' countries such as Italy and France many people do not snack at all between meals. That doesn't suit everyone, of course, and I know I get hungry mid-morning most days so I need to eat. If you're like that too, try to make about 80% of your snacks healthy ones like fresh fruit, a little dried fruit, or veg sticks. Then the remaining 20% can be a normal sized bag of crisps, a flapjack, an ice cream cone, a small choc bar or slice of cake or whatever else takes your fancy. Take a break, eat your snacks slowly and really enjoy them.